The Department of Law has existed ever since the establishment of the New Bulgarian University (NBU) in 1991. Students are enrolled in the Master’s program in Law, which complies with the Regulation on the Unified State Requirements for Obtaining Higher Education Degree in the “Law” Specialty and Professional Qualification “Lawyer”. The course of study ends with 3 state examinations including written and oral parts.
The Master’s program in Law at NBU was accredited by the National Evaluation and Accreditation Agency (NEAA) in Protocol Nr 20 of 10 June 2004, and then in Protocol Nr 24 of 16 July 2010. With the Decision of 6 November 2016, the NEAA awarded to NBU a new programme accreditation with a general rating of 9,00.
The Department of Law also received accreditation from NEAA for providing education in the following doctoral programmes: History of Law and State, Constitutional Law, Labour Law and Social Security, Civil and Family Law, Criminal Law, and Civil Procedure. For more information see here.
The academic staff in the Department of Law comprises highly qualified professionals, who have established themselves in the theory and practice of law and who actively participate in research exchanges with Bulgarian and international universities.
Following a proposal of the Department, the degree of Doctor Honoris Causa of New Bulgarian University was awarded to:
- Academician Antonio Fernandez de Buchan and Fernandez - Member of the Royal Academy of Jurisprudence and Legislation of Galicia and the Royal Academy of Jurisprudence and Legislation of Spain;
- Prof. Alfred Kellermann – Secretary-General of T.M.C. Asser Institute, Institute for Private and Public International Law, International Commercial Arbitration and EU law;
- Prof. Ingolf Pernice – Dean of the Law School of Humboldt University, Berlin.
International and research projects of the Department of Law:
1. Bilateral agreements under the Erasmus + program for cooperation and student exchange between NBU and 11 universities in Europe. For more information see here.
2. Projects funded by the Central Fund for Strategic Development of NBU:
- Project for participation in the Philip C. Jessup International Law Moot Court Competition;
- The project "Europe in my profession" of the Bulgarian European Studies Association funded by Jean Monnet program within the frames of Erasmus + program;
- The joint project between RiskMonitor Foundation and NBU “Independent Student Monitoring of Institutions in the Justice and Home Affairs Sectors”;
- Jean Monnet Chairs Project, Ref. C02/0066 – European Integration, contract between NBU and the European Commission, Nr. 2002-4299/001 – 001 JMO;
The Department of Law hosts regularly international and national scientific conferences. The topics of some of the recent conferences are listed below:
- "Rule of Law – Current Debates"
- "Scientific Readings in memory of Christian Takov "Challenges to Law "
- "Thirty years after the adoption of the Convention on the Rights of the Child: Challenges and Prospects"
- "Media in Bulgaria: 30 Years Later"
- "Conference in honour of the 120th Anniversary of the birth of Prof. Tseko Torbov"
- "Rights of Citizens and their Protection"
- "10 years Bulgaria in the European Union - impact on the development of public policies and legislation"
- "Conference on the occasion of the 25th anniversary of the Department of Law at NBU"
The academic staff of the Department of Law constantly participates in international and national conferences, seminars, and other events.
Two university-wide seminars: “Bulgarian Memory and Conscience for the Totalitarian State” and “Human Rights” are held by the Department of Law. The Department also hosts permanent seminars, thematic seminars and initiates traveling seminars, public lectures and visits of students to various state institutions. Simulated lawsuits and training circles in criminal law, contract law, tax law and tax procedural law are provided to students.
Students from the Department of Law participate in various competitions in criminal law, tax law, international law, mediation, Roman private law and others. They support the competition for secondary school students "Convince me - beat me" and participate in the competition for the first-year students "I know more".
Research papers of the academics, doctoral students and students from the Department of Law are published in the proceedings of international and national conferences. The academics from the Department are authors of numerous monographs, textbooks, articles, study materials and other texts focused on the theory and practice of law. Throughout the years, academics and students at the Department have been publishing continually their research findings in the scholarly journal Law Review, in the electronic journal Law Journal of NBU and in the Yearbook of the Department.
The Department of Law has signed cooperation agreements for student internships, lectures, visits and other joint initiatives with various institutions: municipalities, courts, and others.
Prof. Veselin Vuchkov Ph.D.
Building 1, Room 410
Tel.: 02/8110 420; ext. 14102
Building 1, Room 410
Tel.: 02/8110 410; ext. 14101